The Chartered Director (C.Dir.) Program
About the Program
The Chartered Director (C.Dir.) program offers a unique learning experience covering the full range of formal rules and practices that directors need to know about in their role. The C.Dir. program is the first university accredited director development program in Canada. The Board Simulation in module 5 gives participants the opportunity to apply the skills they’ve built throughout the program. The C.Dir. designation comes from McMaster University as The Directors College is a joint venture between The Conference Board of Canada and the Degroote School of Business at McMaster University.
What Sets Us Apart
- C.Dir. is Canada’s first university-accredited certificate program meets the highest academic standards by the DeGroote School of Business at McMaster University to receive its prestigious designation.
- The Board Simulation in module 5, unique to The Directors College, gives candidates a chance to experience realistic board situations which results in a higher level of personal accountability and a deeper experience.
- Diverse faculty of professionals, corporate directors and academics covering the full range of governance, accounting, law, regulations and human dynamics.
- C.Dir. Alumni also have special access to relevant research, programs and events from The Conference Board of Canada
- Principle based curriculum that is focused on strategic thinking enabling board directors to expand their competencies in dialogue, decision-making, problem solving, risk oversight, and sustainable strategic alignment.
- The C.Dir. program is residential to encourage the learning and networking that occurs among participants outside the classroom.
- Modules are delivered through a combination of lectures, interactive working sessions, and case studies.
- Apart from the final Module (5 – Board Simulation), the program does not need to be taken in sequence. So there is flexibility in planning a program plan to work with your schedule.
Candidates for the C.Dir. Program would have
- Senior Level/Executive Experience
- Board Experience
- University Graduate
- Note: Program designed for those currently sitting on Boards or the Senior Executives who intend to or work with Boards of Directors. Applicants are assessed on a case-by-case basis to determine whether they are suitable candidates for the C.Dir. designation.
Registration fee: $4,370 per module. The fee includes all sessions over the 2¼-day period, all program materials, all meals and accommodation during the session, and the proctored exam.
Timeline: It is a total of 125 hours to complete all five modules. Modules must be completed within 18 months. Once complete delegates have 14 months to successfully write the exam to received their Chartered Director (C.Dir.) Designation.
Tax Note: All Directors College Programs qualify participants for a tax tuition receipt.
Now Taking Registrations
NEWS: The Chartered Director Program is now also being offered in Vancouver, BC in partnership with the Sauder School of Business at the University of British Columbia.
Please note that C.Dir Modules 1–4 do not need to be taken in sequence. Module 5 must be completed last by all program graduates.
Complete Module Outlines
Upcoming C.Dir. Module Dates
*Niaraga-on-the-Lake (NOTL): Programs hosted in Niagara-on-the-Lake are usually hosted at White Oaks. See venue information here.
* Vancouver venue information available here.
- Module 5: The Board Simulation in Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON (May 28-30, 2020)
- Module 1: Accountability and Change in Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON (September 17-19, 2020)
- Module 2: Leadership and Strategy in Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON (October 1-3, 2020)
- Module 3: Oversight and Finance in Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON (November 5-7, 2020)
- Module 4: Effective Governance Under Complex Circumstances in Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON (November 19-21, 2020)